Monday, April 16, 2012

A Review: "The Truth About Grace" by John MacArthur

Grace is a word that tends to get tossed around in Christian circles. But how many of really stop to think about what it means for believers? John MacArthur explores this issue in "The Truth About Grace", one book in a trilogy called "The Truth About" series. He takes a detailed look at what grace means, how believers receive grace into our lives, how the idea of grace gets distorted, the implications for living a grace-filled live, and the practicalities of living a life of grace. He draws on a plethora of Scripture passages to shed light on this uniquely Christian concept, as well as looking at the Hebrew and Greek meanings of certain words to further emphasize his point.

I really enjoyed this book and exploring the concept of grace and what it means for me as a believer. My favorite chapter was the last one, discussing the hallmarks of a grace-filled life. Grace is truly transformative and every aspect of our lives should be changed once we really grasp the implications of what grace means for us as believers. I also appreciated where MacArthur makes the point to say that he promotes "fidelity to Scripture". As believers we also need to know and speak the true Word of God, not just our ideas about the Word.

This is a short book, but so very rich. It would be a wonderful book for a small group or book club to go through together as there are many points that are worthy of further discussion.

(I’ve received this complimentary book through the BookLook program in exchange for a review. A positive review was not required and the views expressed in my review are strictly my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Review: "Good Man" by Nathan Clarkson

I have been a fan of Sally Clarkson's books and podcasts for a number of years now. Her ministry has helped encourage me in my own journ...