Saturday, June 2, 2012

A Review: "Beloved Enemy" by Al Lacy

"Beloved Enemy" by Al Lacy is the third book in the "Battles of Destiny" series. This book features a fictional account of the events that surrounded the first Battle of Bull Run. The story dives into the web of intrigue surrounding Confederate spy missions during the Civil War. Jenny Jordan, a southerner who is employed by the Federal government, falls in love with Buck Brownell, a northern officer. Jenny's father sets up an elaborate spy ring to bring Union secrets to the Confederate army. She is aware of his actions and covers for him. Her involvement with the spy ring nearly drives her apart from Buck.

I have never read an Al Lacy book before, but I was drawn to it by the historical aspect of the novel. The book was mildly interesting and I appreciated learning more about the Civil War era. The factual events happening in the book appeared to be well researched. However, I was completely turned off by the character dialogue in this novel. It was at times cheesy and hokey at best. Much of the dialogue also seemed to be much more modern sounding than for the era he was writing about. I wish that aspect would have been better researched.

I normally love historical fiction, but this book just didn't do it for me. The concept was good, but the execution of it didn't quite come across as well as it could have.

(I’ve received this complimentary book from Waterbrook-Multnomah through the Blogging for Books program in exchange for a review. A positive review was not required and the views expressed in my review are strictly my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Review: "Good Man" by Nathan Clarkson

I have been a fan of Sally Clarkson's books and podcasts for a number of years now. Her ministry has helped encourage me in my own journ...