Saturday, May 5, 2012

A Review: "Chasing the Sun" by Tracie Peterson

"Chasing the Sun" by Tracie Peterson is her first in the "Land of the Lonestar" series. Set in Civil War-era Texas, the story focuses on a young woman named Hannah Dandridge. Her widowed father's disappearance leaves her young siblings in her care along with a ranch to run. William Barnett is a soldier returning after being wounded to reclaim his ranch which had been seized due to his family's loyalties in the war. Her father's law partner, Herbert Lockhart, adds intriguing complications to the story.

Overall, the characters are likeable and flushed out. Hannah's strong will and determination made her a compelling character. The compassion that she sought to demonstrate was remarkable as well. In some instances, it really took a bit of courage but the payoffs were well worth it. The story flowed well and the plot had enough twists and turns to keep it engaging. Themes of forgiveness, redemption, compassion, and love run strong in this novel.

As a big fan of Peterson's work, I was excited to pick up this book and it did not disappoint. I felt it was significantly better that her previous couple of series. I'm definitely looking forward to the next two installments of this Texas trilogy!

(I’ve received this complimentary book from Bethany House Publishers through the Book Blogger program in exchange for a review. A positive review was not required and the views expressed in my review are strictly my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Review: "Good Man" by Nathan Clarkson

I have been a fan of Sally Clarkson's books and podcasts for a number of years now. Her ministry has helped encourage me in my own journ...