Wednesday, September 9, 2015

A Review: "7 Women" By Eric Metaxas

Eric Metaxas's latest book, "7 Women and the Secret of Their Greatness", is a collection of mini-biographies of seven women selected from various periods in history. He includes Joan of Arc, Susanna Wesley, Hannah More, Saint Maria of Paris, Corrie ten Boom, Rosa Parks, and Mother Teresa. Metaxas writes in an utterly captivating way and truly brings these women to life on the page.

At the start of this book, the only woman I really knew much about was Corrie ten Boom, thanks to reading her book, "The Hiding Place", earlier this year. I had only a small amount of knowledge regarding the other women (including one I had never heard of before). After slowly making my way through the extraordinary stories of these ordinary women, I am blown away by how they allowed themselves to be used by God for great purposes. My personal favorites to read about were Hannah More, Saint Maria of Paris, and Corrie ten Boom.

By writing about these women in this book and the men from "7 Men", Metaxas gives us a wonderful gift. In our world gone crazy, we need to learn from these figures who have done amazing and mighty things simply by being available to be used by God for His glory and good purposes. Every man and woman should read and learn from the stories captured in these two books. What wonderful stories to share with our children to give them true heroes to look up to. I can't recommend this book highly enough.

"The Bible says we are to humble ourselves, and in reading the stories of great men and women from the past, we inevitably do just that. But in humbling ourselves in that way, we ironically gain a far greater objectivity and a far better vantage point from which to see things" (p. xx).

(I’ve received this complimentary book through the BookLook program in exchange for a review. A positive review was not required and the views expressed in my review are strictly my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Review: "Good Man" by Nathan Clarkson

I have been a fan of Sally Clarkson's books and podcasts for a number of years now. Her ministry has helped encourage me in my own journ...