Monday, September 9, 2013

A Review: "Unglued" by Lysa TerKeurst

"Unglued" by Lysa TerKeurst is a phenomenal book that helps women learn to make wise choices when confronted with their own raw emotions. Drawing on her own personal experience and biblical teaching, she shares what she has learned (and is learning) about submitting her emotions to the power of Jesus.

She addresses the fact that our emotions are God-given; our emotions help us to feel, connect, and experience life. But so often, women in particular are vulnerable to allow our emotions to run our lives. One truth that TerKeurst draws out in this book is that "God gave [us] emotions so [we] could experience life, not destroy it" (p. 16). This book is a fantastic manual to help women of all ages and stages experience "imperfect progress", which she defines as "slow steps of progress wrapped in grace" (p. 14).

Of especial importance are the chapters that help the reader define what kind of unglued you are. She explores four different types, two that stuff their emotions and two that explode with emotions, and offers sound biblical truth to help you on your journey of imperfect progress. One of my favorite quotes from the book comes from the chapter entitled "I Need a Procedure Manual":  "The human soul is designed to recognize and respond to the calm assurance of Jesus. When I am in an unglued place, I can invite a power beyond my own into the situation by simply speaking His name. I don't have to know what to do. I don't have to have all the answers. I don't have to remember everything I learned in Bible study last week. I just have to remember one thing, one name--Jesus" (p.110-111).

This book was absolutely outstanding. TerKeurst has an easy writing style that makes the material easily accessible. The subject matter is a neglected one that desperately needs to be discussed in the church. She does a wonderful job with balancing her own experiences and stories with what the Bible says about handling emotions. While there are no study questions at the back of the book, there is a companion DVD study which would be helpful for small groups to go through the material. I highly recommend this book!

(I’ve received this complimentary book through the BookLook program in exchange for a review. A positive review was not required and the views expressed in my review are strictly my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Review: "Good Man" by Nathan Clarkson

I have been a fan of Sally Clarkson's books and podcasts for a number of years now. Her ministry has helped encourage me in my own journ...