Friday, March 29, 2013

A Review: "Organic Outreach for Families" by Kevin and Sherry Harney

"Organic Outreach for Families:  Turning Your Home Into a Lighthouse" by Kevin and Sherry Harney is the third book in the "Organic Outreach" series. The Harneys offer this definition:  "Organic outreach is not a program that every person follows the same way. It is an understanding of faith and life that releases every believer to share the love and message of Jesus in a way that feels right for them" (p. 11).

Consisting of three sections (Reaching your own family, Raising children of light in a dark world, and Turning your home into a lighthouse), each section offers practical information on how to become a light in your family (immediate and extended) and neighborhood. Kevin and Sherry take turns with authoring the different chapters, and their three sons also include brief stories and reflections throughout the book. Each chapter concludes with a "Becoming a Lighthouse" section with several ways to implement the principles discussed in the chapters in your own family.

As a mom of two small boys, I really appreciated the ideas in the book. As we are called to make disciples, it needs to begin at home. It caused me to reflect and reevaluate ways that I am introducing my boys to Jesus, as well as ways that I need to do better. I loved the stories that they told to show how the principles came to life in their own home.

This is a great, practical handbook full of ideas that can be implemented in your own home and neighborhood. It's perfect for families, but several chapters are perfectly appropriate for singles or couples without children.

(I’ve received this complimentary book through the BookLook program in exchange for a review. A positive review was not required and the views expressed in my review are strictly my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Review: "Good Man" by Nathan Clarkson

I have been a fan of Sally Clarkson's books and podcasts for a number of years now. Her ministry has helped encourage me in my own journ...