Friday, May 27, 2016

A Review: "Colors of Goodbye" by September Vaudrey

May 31, 2008. The date that life forever changed for the Vaudrey family. Nineteen year old Katie left for her first day of her summer job and never made it. Her mother, September Vaudrey, captures the story of Katie's life, death, and the grief of the family so very poignantly in this book, "Colors of Goodbye".

This memoir is incredibly touching. September shares so freely the profound loss their family felt in the aftermath of Katie's death. She doesn't shy away from the difficult aspects, and is very candid in sharing how the different personalities in her family grieved in different ways. Her openness and honesty with the realities of grief captured me and drew me completely in to their family story.

Katie was a gifted artist. Her artwork is interspersed throughout the book, which gives it even greater meaning. This book is a beautiful tribute to their daughter. I feel privileged to have read this book and to have been allowed a glimpse into such a private tragedy and witnessed this family's return to joy from the depths of such a shattering loss.

(I’ve received this complimentary book from Tyndale House Publishers in exchange for a review. A positive review was not required and the views expressed in my review are strictly my own.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Review: "Good Man" by Nathan Clarkson

I have been a fan of Sally Clarkson's books and podcasts for a number of years now. Her ministry has helped encourage me in my own journ...