Monday, April 29, 2019

A Review: "Here, Now" by Kate Merrick

Here, Now: Unearthing Peace and Presence in an Overconnected WorldI was first introduced to Kate Merrick on "The Happy Hour with Jamie Ivey" podcast (episode 133--check it out). She shared about her first book, the death of her daughter, and going off (and staying off!) social media. Her story is compelling and beautiful. After that introduction and discovering her new book, "Here, Now" released, I was eager to jump in. This book is a deep dive into what it means to be fully present in your life as it is, not as you want it to be.

I loved the encouragement found in this book. She shares candidly and openly about what drove her to disconnect from all social media, to get rid of Internet access in her home, and simply streamline daily choices so you can fully experience the life and relationships that are directly in front of you. It is a very thought-provoking book, especially with regard to how many soul-sucking hours are spent on social media, cultivating online relationship while allowing real-life relationships to languish. I appreciated her insights about Sabbath and rest. It was a message I needed to hear as I have been contemplating for some time just how to create more online disconnect in my life and focus on my life, my family, and my community in real time.

(I’ve received this complimentary book through the BookLook program in exchange for a review. A positive review was not required and the views expressed in my review are strictly my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Review: "Good Man" by Nathan Clarkson

I have been a fan of Sally Clarkson's books and podcasts for a number of years now. Her ministry has helped encourage me in my own journ...