Thursday, January 3, 2019

A Review: "The Wondering Years" by Knox McCoy

Knox McCoy, co-host of The Popcast podcast, recently released a memoir/faith reflections book called "The Wondering Years". I personally have never listened to his podcast, but I follow many bloggers/podcasters who do. This book came highly rated, so when I had the opportunity to check it out, I didn't want to pass it up. The premise of the book takes pop culture references and relates them to life and things of faith.

I truly enjoyed the pop culture references and many of them took me back to childhood. The footnotes were a major highlight throughout, with many making me laugh out loud and causing my husband to just stare at me. While the book was a fun, quick read, it felt a bit disjointed and the point of each chapter was not fully fleshed out. The very last chapter was the best one of the whole book. It was the point where I felt the most connection to him and his story. It is the chapter that I wish the rest of the book had been like. I enjoyed this book and it definitely had great moments in it. But I found that the humor couldn't quite make up for the true lack of depth throughout this book.

(I’ve received this complimentary book through the BookLook program in exchange for a review. A positive review was not required and the views expressed in my review are strictly my own.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Review: "Good Man" by Nathan Clarkson

I have been a fan of Sally Clarkson's books and podcasts for a number of years now. Her ministry has helped encourage me in my own journ...